Blue Sun
the work of josh seligman
3/02/2006

Wow, what a couple of weeks! Finished 4 paintings over last weekend. I am so happy that they got finished. The images in my mind don't go away until they are painted and left on the canvas. It is similar to Chinese water torture sometimes, the paintings call me until they are done. Glad the weather was grappy for me to stay in over the weekend.

This "Language of Light" series I am working on is fascinating to me, it is part intuition and part focused intention. The colors came out darker than what I imagined but beautiful in their own right. Accidents are the best for a painting sometimes, no? Felt I could let loose a little and relax into this process instead of it being manufactured. Think Art is suppose to be FREE! Don't feel corporate about myself and the ways I go about things, think that is the problem with today. There is more to American Culture than Corporate Culture for a model to be, think, and feel. No this isn't an attack it is just a return or reminder that the Art process is organic not produced on a conveyor belt. Hope you all can see the angle I have on my creation process. Organic not competitive.

Had a couple surprises. My backgrounds became shapes to hold the lettering or symbols. Love the idea of painting in shapes with symbols, that means something. Second, my "Forest" painting was a surprise and guided me. It was a splash of painting that went on for over an hour and I had to clean up the wall behind my eisle, afterwards. Some good dance music didn't hurt either! It was a blast, that turned into something more deep and appealing. Feel it is important for an Artist to put their life experiences into their work also, not just jabs at society and feel my "Forest" painting did that. It left and eerie, haunting feeling for me that is mysteriously inviting. Like the hotties at the bar that always go home with the wrong guy, or do they?

Until later then,

Joshua 2006

posted at 3:26 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
Get great blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com