Blue Sun
the work of josh seligman
1/07/2007

Welcome...went to the Cleveland Museum of Art yesterday to see their Barcelona exhibit. It is the only one of its kind in the world outside of Barcelona. There were 350 pieces of Artists from Barcelona from 1850-1930. Just amazing and it took 30 mins to buy tickets and then another 1hour+ to get in. This is great timing for the work I am doing now. They had quite a few Dali, Gaudi, Picasso, and Joan Miro's. I read a biography of Joan Miro and he is such an inspiration for me along with the surrealists of Paris 1914-1917. Love the idea of creating a painting as a poem or stream of consciousness. I blend lines and symbols to create a visual language as well. I felt like a kid in a candy store just after studying about Miro.
Started working on my next batch of Go! paintings. There will be seven for a show in March and I want to incorporate what I saw and learned from the Barcelona show. Such struggles with money, place, and war, are still relevant to me having moved from NYC because of 9-11 and terrorism afterwards. How do Artists cope and keep producing?, so it was interesting to see and read about their inspirations during the most difficult time in Europe's history. Joan Miro's "The Farm" really stood out because it was such a large piece and he carried it with him from Barcelona to Paris to finish it, how do you get that thing on the train? Then no one would buy it so he gave it to a writer friend, who then sold it to Ernest Hemingway. And now it was sitting right in front of me, the details were phenomenal! I like his later work better but this
one really stood out for me for the sheer size and detail and beauty of the piece.
Couldn't have asked for a better time for Frank Peto to take me up for the show. The weather was warm and we stayed at another painter's home named Paul Duda. It was terrific to spend time with positive minded Artists who were producing their Art and expressing a "joie de vivre". Yes, know that is french but it is fitting for this weekend, until later then and much love for the new year.
-Joshua 2007

posted at 2:16 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
Get great blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com