Blue Sun
the work of josh seligman
9/24/2007

Hello, it has been a while. Had a busy summer, battling hatred or whatever it was. I am now settling into Philly and loving it. People love it or hate it here. It is my hometown and I just love it, seeing all the diversity and people playing on the city. I also see love everyday here, just like in NYC. That is the best thing about living on the East Coast! Now about Columbus.
Visited friends in the beginning of this month. Nothing changes your friendships, but that city has gone through changes in the 6 months I have left. So many buildings were boarded up, so many gay people and artists had left, it was depressing. It hurts my heart to see something so beautiful destroyed from the fundamentalists and redneck America rising. Used to be so diverse and friendly, still is to a point, but, i can't go back to it. It felt like going to another country. One woman joked here, that you need a passport to go the red states, and now I can see it. Our country is so polarized. I met a lot of angry people there, calling for Civil War or Revolution, because of the changes that the Bush Era has brought in. Hatred, intolerance, one way thinking, poverty, loss of jobs, with the end of objectivity and democracy. Homeland security was all over town and even had bomb sniffing dogs on the buses. It truly is another world now, and not one I want to be part of. I grieve for the loss of something so playful and open minded, now it is just part of the rust belt, crumbling and rusting...
-Joshua 2007

posted at 8:08 PM

Comments:
Look, I live in Columbus. Don't you think your own narrow view of this city as full of rednecks and bomb sniffing dogs on busses (oh puh-lease)pretty much defines intolerance and one-way thinking? It's not the third reich here, dude; you just need an enemy to prattle against. Wanting to move away is one thing, trying to paint your reasoning as because we're Berlin in the twenties just makes you look nuts. It's the most progressive, gay friendly town in the midwest, and those statistics are everywhere. You're the only one I know who sees Columbus Ohio as being overrun with Homeland Security and intolerance and presumed hatred toward your so-called "race" (again, only you see and hear these people who think you're Middle Eastern; everone I know you thinks you look Italian and nothing more.) Is it really everyone else who is wrong? Life is full of drama enough on it's own. Settle down.
 
Post a Comment
Get great blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com